Thursday, October 2, 2014

October 2, 2014

Today was another day. By the end of the day I had officially finished all of my busy work, the last of it being my MAP spreadsheets. I finished adding in all the scores I had from last Spring so the teachers could easily see the difference between that test and the most recent test. Most, if not all of the teachers, already had access to this information but I put it all in one place for their whole class. One nice spreadsheet on one page. I think previously they had to look at individual student reports. So maybe my spreadsheet will be useful.

I helped out with literacy centers in kindergarten this morning. It was the same things as last time with the kids drawing a picture of themselves and then a picture of a teacher. One of the kids in my group wanted to draw his Spider-Man shirt but he didn't have room so he just put a big red 'S', in a yellow triangle, surrounded by a blue shirt with some red accent. He basically drew a Superman costume but when I mentioned this he insisted the 'S' was for Spider-Man.

Later in the afternoon both kindergarten classes came to the lab. One of the kids was working on rhyming words and kept chanting “dig pig” over and over again. Except his enunciation wasn't so great so it sounded like he was repeatedly saying “dick pic” over and over again. It was funny and inappropriate all at the same time.

The resource teacher printed my bingo sheets today but messed up a little bit and printed a whole bunch. I think she said she only wanted eight copies of the first two boards of each set but she didn't specify that when she hit print so she got every board in every set, eight times. I can't remember how many sheets of boards and word cards each set included but in the end she ended up printing several hundred pages. At one point I had to refill the paper drawer even though it had been full at the beginning of the day. I also had to take a stack of printed pages off the printer because it was too high and it couldn't print anymore. On the plus side, she is now set for bingo boards for the next several years.

This entry is far from chronological order at this point. Oh well. Before lunch I got an email about the sixth graders having issues with laptops. Namely, that they were dying way too quick. They had pulled them from two different laptop carts so I went to check on the carts. They first one appeared to be plugged in but upon further inspection, all the stuff on top of the cart was plugged in but not the cart itself. After a little digging I found that the cord for the cart was coiled on the bottom of the cart. So I yanked out enough cord to plug it into the wall and all the lights came on. Problem solved, maybe. The next cart was plugged into the wall but when I opened the back of the cart the first few power cords for the individual laptops weren't plugged into the cart, and it looked like, by luck, those were the ones the sixth graders had bored. So I plugged the cords in and the lights came on. Hopefully a lack of charge was the only issue with the laptops.

Nothing exciting or interesting happened tonight. I had plenty of time to finish up the research textbook chapter for this week because I didn't have a visit with the new volunteer kid tonight. Unlike last week, I actually heard back from him tonight, even if it did take a second text message. He apparently had too much homework and he was also going out to look for a new job. I guess the restaurant isn't working out. He also said he has narrowed down his college options and is getting closer to making a choice. He'll graduate in December so time is getting short.


And that is all I've got for today. Tomorrow morning I need to remember to pack everything I'll need for this weekend so I can just swing back by the house and grab it before heading out of town. I always have the feeling that I am going to forget something. On my last trip I only forgot my sunglasses but that was because I wasn't driving my own car. Hopefully this time nothing will be forgotten. That is the goal anyway. I'm a little nervous about what all will be happening over the weekend. For the other class the professor put up a bunch of slides and a schedule. There hasn't been any of that from this professor. So who knows. I guess I'll find out when I get down there tomorrow.

No comments:

 
UA-26164694-2